I just realized that I do a lot of cooking with mushrooms, especially portobello ones. Also, I recently found out I am severely vitamin D deficient, like so many of us are. So I’ve decides to up my mushroom intake, plus a vegan supplement. For those of you that don’t know some mushrooms are grown in ultraviolet lights to produce vitamin D. Each cup of mushrooms grown like this can give you about 400 IUs of Vitamin D. My philosophy is the less supplements I need to take the better. Outside of having the potential Vitamin D benefit, mushrooms also are a source of B vitamins (including B6 & B12).
So here’s the tofu salad recipe with portobello mushrooms!
• 1 portobello mushroom cap
• handful of cherry tomatoes (varied colors)
• half of a firm tofu square (about 4 ounces)
• one large spoonful of Earth Balance Mayo
• chiptole seasoning
1. Slice and steam mushroom cap until tender
2. Chop tomatoes and crumble tofu
3. Put all ingredients into bowl and add serve
4. Stir until mixed
5. Chill for 1-2 hours and serve
Place mushrooms, kale, potatoes, garlic, tahini, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and let mix until desired consistency. If you prefer a creamer mixture add the milk of your choice or a little water.
Follow the instructions on the sauce mix (Boil 1/2 water and slowly add mixture) – Pretty simple.
Wet the spring roll wrapper. Once the wrapper is malleable, cut into pieces. I found that triangle shaped worked best for wrapping.
Put some of the vegetable mixture in the middle and fold up so all ends are sealed. Place with edges down on the plate. Continue wrapping until you have the desired amount of ravioli.
Once Alfredo sauce is down, spoon amount onto each ravioli. I found these best to be eaten with your fingers. I rolled my ravioli to be bite sized.
Things to think of:
Hold off on the salt – the sauce mix has a pretty salty taste
Less Kale and more mushrooms depending on your taste preferences
So I’ve been on an Asian food kick and wanted to take a stab at spring rolls. FYI – the package of wrappers comes in like a 24 pack. So unless you plan on making mass springs rolls, you’ll have to repurpose them. I’ll be making some type of ravioli to post, as a possible suggestion.
3 Spring Roll Wrappers
1 to 2 Mushrooms chopped
Bamboo Shoots chopped (4 to 5 shoots from a can)
Water chestnuts chopped (6 to 8 rounds from a can)
Kale (2 leaves chopped)
Peanut Sauce of choice (I have the Whole Foods brand)
Place wrapper in warm water and let soak for a minute or two
Place on dry plate and place ingredients inside
Wrap roll like a burrito folding the ends inside while continuing to roll
– Portobello Mushroom
– 1/2 cup cubed Tofu
– 1/2 cup black beans
– 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
– 1/4 cup of Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
– Less than 1/4 cup chopped onion
– Peanut Sauce to taste (about 1/4 cup for my tastes)
-Salt and Pepper to taste
– I also add Chia seeds and Vegan omega blend
– Cook black beans, onions, peppers,salt, pepper in medium sauce pan on low heat for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally
– Remove from heat and cool, chop mushroom
– Mix Tofu, Mushroom, and black beans together. Serve cold and enjoy!
– If you’re adding omega blend add when cool