I just realized that I do a lot of cooking with mushrooms, especially portobello ones. Also, I recently found out I am severely vitamin D deficient, like so many of us are. So I’ve decides to up my mushroom intake, plus a vegan supplement. For those of you that don’t know some mushrooms are grown in ultraviolet lights to produce vitamin D. Each cup of mushrooms grown like this can give you about 400 IUs of Vitamin D. My philosophy is the less supplements I need to take the better. Outside of having the potential Vitamin D benefit, mushrooms also are a source of B vitamins (including B6 & B12).
So here’s the tofu salad recipe with portobello mushrooms!
• 1 portobello mushroom cap
• handful of cherry tomatoes (varied colors)
• half of a firm tofu square (about 4 ounces)
• one large spoonful of Earth Balance Mayo
• chiptole seasoning
1. Slice and steam mushroom cap until tender
2. Chop tomatoes and crumble tofu
3. Put all ingredients into bowl and add serve
4. Stir until mixed
5. Chill for 1-2 hours and serve