Ok, so I bought too much Kale this past week and I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with it. So I came up with this recipe. It’s similar to grape leaves but with a little twist.
Main Ingredients and Fun Facts:
Quinoa: For those that don’t know, quinoa is a grain and is often referred to as a “superfood”. Quinoa is a great source of protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, and fiber. It’s a great addition to any diet, especially those following a vegan diet or individuals who are lactose intolerant.
Kale: This is another food, that is typically considered a “superfood” because of it nutritional value. It is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and calcium.
- Kale Leaves
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 white onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 spoonfuls of black beans
- 2 tbsps Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Eggplant Garlic Spread
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add quinoa and water to small pot, cook until water is absorbed about 20 minutes
- In the meantime, put the onions, garlic, black beans, and Eggplant Spread in a blender. Mix until smooth
- Once quinoa is absorbed remove from heat. Add quinoa to other ingredients in blender. Mix until smooth.
- Blanch Kale leaves for 5 minutes in covered pot
- Remove Kale from pot, trim stems from the back of the leaves. This way the Kale stays together in one piece. Pat dry with papertowel. Save the water that was used to blanch the leaves.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into leaf and roll tightly.
- Place rolled leaves in deep pan, pour kale water in pan, just enough to cover the bottom of the leaves. Add in salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes. Don’t let it boil here.
- Depending on the size of your Kale leaves, you may have leaf over quinoa mixture. Freeze it up and save it for next time!
- Serve and hope everyone enjoys! 🙂